Mo In London

Travel Blog - COMING SOON!

Friday, March 30, 2007

I LOVE TO READ!

There is one thing that I love about my long commute, all of the great leisure reading time!
I must talk about the book I'm reading right now. I'm on the second book of the series Vilhelm Moberg wrote about Swedish emmigrants moving to Minnesota. It's fictional, but based on extensive research that he did about what it was like to move from Sweden to Minnesota in the 1850's. It is SO fascinating, especially since the area where 'Karl and Kristina' have just settled (in book 2 - Unto a Good Land) is the area where I grew up!

I also found it really interesting to read what a trip to America in those days entailed (10 weeks in horrid conditions in a small ship)! And then to GET to Minnesota from New York - took over a month - via 'steam train', boat and ferry.

I read the first book 'The Emigrants' for my book club, but as soon as I got to the last page I started on book number 2. I'm nearly done with 'Unto a Good Land' and I can't wait to read books 3 and 4 as well.

I always know I've got a great book, when I get off the bus disappointed that I have to stop reading for the next 8 hours - have to work instead. I do sometimes read while I am walking very slowly to the office from the bus stop as well - have to finish off the chapter! GOSH these books are good!!!!

I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I just feel run down and exhausted, need some good sleep.


Chickity china the chinese chickenYou have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin

(can you guess who we're going to see tonight?????)

the Barenaked Ladies - YAYYYYYY! (by the way - for those of you who don't know - they are an American band - not a strip show - ha ha- just thought I'd clarify)

5 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Monique, BNL as are actually Canadian. :)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Monique said...

Oh well I meant North American of course - just kidding. Oops I totally knew that!

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're done with the Emigrant series, you should check out "Ride This Night."

It's about a little Swedish village that gets taken over by a fascist governor. Moberg wrote it in the late thrities as an analogy to the Nazis and it's one of my all-time favorites.

Hard to get a hold of, but I'll borrow you a copy next time you're home.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Monique said...

That sounds good too Marcus! I'll check the book store this weekend for that one as well. Turns out I will actually have to BUY the last 2 of the series, since my library doesn't have them - how bizarre!

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcus, surely you mean LEND? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker