Mo In London

Travel Blog - COMING SOON!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Ahhh Funny Little London

As I was walking to the bus this morning I was thinking about all the little things that I have become used to in this city.

I love walking in the mornings and looking around to see into people's windows. I never really experienced that in Minnesota because we drove everywhere, and most people have houses, not flats with windows facing main roads. I smiled as I saw the couple I see every day having breakfast in their kitchen, I could hear an alarm going off in someone's bedroom, and I saw a woman quickly ironing her clothes for the work day.

I am one of those people who always stands on a certain part of the platform - so that I can get on the carriage that will drop me off right by the exit of my destination. I guess that's what happens when you take the same train every day - so nice though. I always hurry to get the seat on the end of the row - so I only have to have a person next to me on one side. Also on the way home it's nice to be able to lean my head on the barrier. In the mornings I am on the look out for a discarded newspaper - as there are no places to pick up a fresh one on my way to the train.

I'm used to not talking to strangers. In 5 years of going to the gym I have never made a friend there! It always shocks me when someone talks to me - it's just not done! sort of like on the train)! Last night a girl asked me what she needed for the class (it was her first time) and I was a bit startled and stumbled over my explanation!

And funny little things - like when I moved here I thought pointy toed shoes were SO SO ugly (I remember saying this to Murray). Now I own many many pairs and I LOVE them! I also NEVER wore those small little gym socks at home - I always wore longer socks that I pulled up to my calves - it was just what we did! Isn't funny how little things like that, what you consider 'normal' can change over time?

I no longer convert pound prices in dollars to my head - it's just TOO shocking! I accept that the high London prices are normal and just live with it.

I don't know where this rambling came from. Just that it was a lovely warm morning (10 c - 50 f) and it got me all 'ahhhh I love London today.'

:)

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the flag re-arrangement. I appreciate it.

Love you
Dad

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the conversion rates - now I just remind myself that I'm paid in Euro, I'm buying in Euro and I'm not worry about dollars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker