Mo In London

Travel Blog - COMING SOON!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Me llamo Monique, Y tu?

Last night was my first of my 10 beginner Spanish lessons. Overall it was good, but a bit disappointing because they did not have our books! It's a language school! And it's not like they didn't know we were all coming! So that was a quite frustrating!!!

Instead our teacher spent the first hour writing down a few conversational phrases, which we noted down. She then forced us to practice two at a time in front of the whole class (the horror)! That's what I find the hardest - speaking in front of a group like that - but I suppose that is the reason I have done a class rather than study on my own. And actually it was good fun after awhile.

For the second hour she had copied the first few pages of our elusive books, so we worked through those. Part of it was learning how to count from cero to viente (0 to 20). He he I already knew how to do that (thank you 3 years of high school Spanish - turns our I did learn something)! However, then she made us go up to the board one by one and had someone from the group call out a number in Spanish. Then you had to try to spell it AND write which number it was. I have never been so relieved when she accidentally missed me out (YAY)! It was just embarrassing darn it!

I caught the bus back to Putney with a 19 year old from Norway who has only been in England for a month, and is now taking Spanish as well as working on her English - impressive! She told me she was upset because she hadn't brought any paper for notes - I said to her 'why didn't you just ask- I could have given you some'! I feel bad for not noticing she didn't have anything to write on - oh well. We have quite a worldly class, a few Welsh people, a couple South Africans, one Norwegian, a few British people and one American! Anyhow, I just hope it gets a bit more organized and we get a book next week!!! Fun to actually do a sit down class again though, it's been a few year for me!

4 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So senora... will you get a reduced rate since there was no book?!?!? yeah right!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Monique said...

well.... if we don't get the books by next week you better believe I will be complaining!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Dizzie said...

I remember my first Spanish lesson - we learned to say Hola, me llamo XXXX, y soy de Suecia. Here, off course, me not being de Suecia, I went "soy Polaco, pero vivo en Suecia". This guy looks at me and goes "Why do you go to Spanish for beginners, when you're fluent?" which such anger in his voice... I wasn't - it was my first class!

Anyhow... good luck!

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monique,

I tried a class like that about a year ago and can contest to you that they are absolutely worthless. Get yourself a good spanish-immersion software (preferably Rosetta Stone) and you'll learn faster, it will stick with you better and you won't have to leave home.

Just my two cents. But it helped me test out of 3 semesters of Spanish at the U.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker