Mo In London

Travel Blog - COMING SOON!

Monday, October 23, 2006

Darker Do

I had a nice weekend. Saturday I watched Abby in the morning. We had a nice time, she was super cute as usual, and she brought us some LOVELY chocolates as a thank you for watching her.

When Eva came to pick her up in the afternoon she drove me to the hairdresser (which was fab since as soon as we got in the car the sky opened up and started pouring really hard with rain)!

I decided that I was fed up with the upkeep that was necessary for my blonde do. Also, since I have been dying for around 10 years now the condition of my hair was screaming for me to lay off the bleach for awhile. So I went in for a 4 hour session with a guy who called me Veronica the whole time. The first time he said it I thought maybe I had misheard him, so I didn't correct him. The second time he said it it was kinda too late for me to correct him, then after the third fourth and fifth time I just answered to it, oh well. He did a nice job, but he was pretty unfriendly (for a hairdresser) I won't be going back to him again.

A few notes about getting your hair done in London
1. It's expensive!!!
2. I think part of the reason it's so expensive is that they always have at least half a dozen girls (and once and awhile a rare boy) running around bringing people drinks and biscuits and washing your hair. Why the hairdresser can't just do this - I do not know.
3. It's nice that they serve wine - I figure if I'm going to be sitting there for 4 hours and paying an arm a leg for a new do I deserve at least one glass.
4. Why oh why does it take FOUR hours? Since he told me in my consultation a few days ago that I would need at LEAST that long (I had only booked in for 3), he seemed to be doing everything in slow motion just so that he wouldn't prove himself wrong (that yes a haircut really shouldn't take over an hour). Snip - look in mirror - yes, still about the same legth on both side - snip - etc (repeat many many times for at least an hour).
5. They REALLY seem to try to push products on you here. I don't know if the hairdressers get a comission or what? He set half a dozen products in front of me and told me I HAD to have them all (I chose 2 I actually did need and refused the rest).

BEFORE

AFTER

Sorry it's poor quality. Best my camera phone could do at 6:30 this morning:)

Saturday night I met up with a friend at TGI Fridays for dinner & drinks. We were laughing about how funny it is when British people try to 'act American.' Our server was over the top friendly (well, for UK standards), although she was short with us and actually not a very good watiress, just fake over friendly. Below is a poor quality photo of when the severs made a guy sitting near us stand on his chair so they could very loudly sing Happy Birthday to him. Although you could see in their faces they were SO embarassed to have to do that in front of a whole crowd of people. But, I'm not complaining, I love that they say 'HELLO!!!!!' when you enter the restaurant and yell to you 'HAVE A NICE NIGHT' when you're leaving:)


10 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Kim said...

WOW! I love the hair!!! Brown really suits you. And thanks for reminding me my roots are really bad ;)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy...Did I really marry an axe murderer??

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger andrea said...

It looks great! I can't even imagine how much it cost but it was worth it!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Monique said...

FYI for those of you who don't get 'hubby's joke' - he thinks I look like Nancy Travis who starred in one of the best movies EVER EVER EVER 'So I married an axe murderer.'

http://tinyurl.com/yjsuyh

& thanks Kim & Andrea :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW !!!! Great hair. I really like the colour , suits you.
Makes you look younger :-)

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the security check point dude checked your id last Friday (even tho you've been there forever)... I can only IMAGINE what will happen now!
You'll probably get frisked now that your hair color (which is inspirational by the way) is different than last week!!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Monique said...

well actually Joni
in the picture on my badge I have darker hair (not this dark, but brown) from when I dyed my hair just before the Alaska cruise - so they didn't question me at all this morning YAY!

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the new look! Am booked in for color myself in December and I'm already saving up...

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new hairstyle! :) It looks great on you.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Wow - brunette suits you!!! I can't wait to see it in person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker