Mo In London

Travel Blog - COMING SOON!

Monday, May 22, 2006

I am now officially a POM!!!



This is what my husband said to me last night because my British passport has arrived!!!!!!
Pom is one of those words I have been using for few years now and I didn't really now what it exactly meant - I know that is what Australians call British people, but why?

I found this definition:
Pom is short for Port of Melbourne (where the ships docked), Prisoners Of her Majesty, as they were convict ships, or because the British prisoners looked like a cargo of pomegranates when they caught the sun.
These a few of the many explanations for the origin of this Australian term for British immigrants. Although the pomegranate explanation is my favourite.
“Pommy is supposed to be short for pomegranate. Pomegranate, pronounced invariably pommygranate, is a near enough rhyme to immigrant, in a naturally rhyming country. Furthermore, immigrants are known in their first months, before their blood ‘thins down’, by their round and ruddy cheeks. So we are told”.

So, it was a great weekend because now I know the home office has not misplaced my passports - hooray! I can't believe I am now a dual citizen - how bizarre!

It was a rainy cold weekend in London, well - cold by May standards! We had a lovely afternoon with Abigail on Saturday. I got her all dressed up in her coat & sweater to head out to the park, just as a torrential downpour began. So, we played in the house all morning. Murray got some really cute pictures of her sitting in our bed under the covers reading a magazine about Land Rovers (most likely just looking at the pictures)! But boy did she look cute.

Sunday we did a bit of shopping - we ran from store to store trying to avoid the rain!

Also, did a bit more packing. The count down is on - only 5 more nights in our place. It just feels so extremely weird to be moving. This is the only place I have lived in London (other than when I was a student here in 1999). We have been living in this flat for 4 1/2 years, feels like an end of an era. But, we are both excited. Although we'll still be in the same town, we'll be much closer to the river and on a MUCH quieter street - can't wait!

2 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great news...the long saga is finally over. Interesting to hear about the origins of the word 'pom'. I didn't know any of that! Hope you managed to find some more boxes - but maybe not so much in the rain...

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Thank God the Home Office kept track of all your documents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker